Thursday, July 17, 2008

Introspective - Graduation

I will be graduating college in ten months. In five weeks, I will commence my Sr. year at Baylor University. I Am Nervous.

 

In August of 2004, I was not excited or worried about Sr. year. It was just another year of school for me. College was a natural step, just as HS was, so there was no anxiousness to complete it. I don’t even remember graduating HS. That day was fast and uneventful. Me walking was just for my relatives. I apathetically crossed the stage and received the fake diploma, with my mind focused on who would I be kicking it with that night. HS was a joke. I had already had my head focused on college. Even that first day of college was weak. It was just another day of high school, just a different set up.

 

This fear of the future began, my sophomore year. My girlfriend at the time was battling her looming graduation, and I began vicariously experiencing her trials. It made me question my decisions, career path, and ultimate future. Luckily Alpha Kappa Psi and Omega Psi Phi kept me busy for that year, if you can call that luck.

 

I am not ready, not because I am not mature, might fail, but because I will have to divide my self. I am a man of many talents, as the title of my blog suggest, “Jack of All Trades…Master of None”. I can be so successful in any arena, but will I be great, yet will I be happy. Success is subjective, and I measure it by how much am I empowering others as well as empowering my self.

 

I have 4 options.

 

Pursue a Masters in English to perfect my poetry skills.

Pursue a Juris Doctorate to expand my abilities to tackle political and social injustice.

Move to Atlanta and start my career in the Music Industry.

Work at some corporation in a $55,000 cubicle job.

 

I will be graduating college in ten months. In five weeks, I will commence my Sr. year at Baylor University. I Am Nervous.


www.ryanphipps.blogspot.com 

No comments: